What is Coating in Fertilizer? Explain NPK Fertilizer Coating

Introduction To regulate the solubility of NPK fertilizer particles in the soil, various fertilizer coating materials have been added. Numerous environmental, financial, and yield advantages can be obtained by regulating the rate of nutrient discharge.

Soluble fertilizers have been coated with a variety of compounds. Although multi-nutrient fertilizers also receive coatings, powdered or prilled nitrogen (N) fertilizer receives them most frequently. Since urea has the most excellent nitrogen content of all commonly used soluble fertilizers, it is the foundation for most coated fertilizers.

What is coating in fertilizer?

A range of pine compounds is available from Ingevity that can be used as tackifiers or to lengthen the life of the coating on fertilizer granules. A layer is a type of surface preparation used on solid fertilizers. It can be liquid, solid, thermoplastic, or reactive. Multi-nutrient fertilizers are occasionally used, but coatings are most frequently added to granular or prilled nitrogen fertilizer. Coated fertilizers give a prolonged supply of nutrients with many advantages, such as lower costs, a more consistent plant supply, better growth, and improved plant performance.

Explain the NPK fertilizer coating-

Npk fertilizer coating is the three primary nutrients plants require to develop: nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, represented by the letters “NPK” on fertilizer labels. The nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium ratio in the fertilizer container is indicated by the figures on the label (by proportion).

You can accurately infer that a set of three numbers, such as 5-10-5, stands for 5% nitrogen, 10% phosphorus, and 5% potassium, always in that order, even if you cannot see the letters N-P-K.Only 20% of this fertilizer is made up of nutrients; the other 80% is made up of secondary nutrients or fillers. Plants require 16 nutrients; some are in the air and water, and some are in the earth, such as iron, calcium, and chlorine. 1

What Function Do NPK’s Components Serve?

 Let’s take a glance at how each nutrient affects plant growth.

  1. Nitrogen-

 The first element mentioned in an Npk fertilizer coating sequence, nitrogen, is crucial for creating chlorophyll and is, therefore, a vital component of leaf development. Nitrogen-rich fertilizers are frequently used for grass and other plants where the product of green foliage is more critical than flowering. The yellowing of typically green plants often suggests a nitrogen deficiency. On the other end of the scale, gardeners occasionally struggle with the issue of nitrogen depletion.

  1. Phosphorus-

 In an NPK series, the center number represents the amount of phosphorous in the fertilizer. Phosphorus is a crucial nutrient for your plants in spring because it is essential for root development, flowering, and fruiting. The creation of seeds and other important plant processes, like rooting, depends on phosphorus.

  1. Potassium-

 The last number in the list of main ingredients indicates the product’s potassium percentage. Potassium and potash coating helps maintain the general well-being and vitality of plants. It is well known to support the movement of water and nutrients within the plant, increase the resistance of plants to disease and can be particularly crucial in regions with cold or dry weather.

Other Substances-

 Most fertilizers contain ingredients listed on a side or back label in addition to the primary nutrients typically listed on the front label. Other nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, iron, micronutrients, and even the proportion of organic materials and fillers may be included in this.


If you want to invest in the NPK fertilizer industry, and want to know about Npk fertilizer coating, then NAQ Global will provide professional suggestions for you. A privately held multinational company, NAQ Global, offers the fertilizer and Coloring agents for fertilizer business specialized goods and professional services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.